Tuesday, January 13, 2009
Italian Comfort Food
My daughter came home sick from school today. Nothing serious, just a stomach bug but coming home gave us an opportunity to relax, slow down, take a nap together. Her appetite is good even when she is not feeling well so I fixed one of her favorites - Cheesy Baked Tortellini. This is comfort food, Italian style, yet rich and elegant enough to serve to company.
Cheesy Baked Tortellini
from Giada de Laurentis
2 cups marinara sauce
1/3 cup mascarpone cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
1 pound purchased cheese tortellini (I used four cheese ravioli)
2 ounces thinly sliced smoked mozzarella (I used shredded Italian cheese blend)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly oil 8x8x2-inch baking dish.
2. Whisk the sauce, mascarpone cheese, parsley, and thyme in a large bowl to blend.
3. Cook the tortellini in a large pot of boiling salted water until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain. Add to tortellini to the sauce and toss to coat.
4. Transfer the tortellini mixture to the prepared baking dish. Top with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
5. Cover and bake until the sauce bubbles and the cheeses melt, about 30 minutes.